Auxiliary police officer gets 16.5 years in prison for stealing S$24,800 from Jurong

Mahadi then agreed to cover a colleague’s shift on the day of the flight, April 12 last year.

Sometime after 1 p.m. that day, he went to OT Credit to make sure he was open for business. He saw that it was not guarded and that there were two counter employees there.

He then traveled to the Aetos compound in Jurong West to report for duty and retrieve the equipment from the armory. This included a model M85 Taurus revolver, handcuffs and 10 rounds of ammunition.

He loaded five rounds into his revolver and placed the weapon in a shoulder bag, before storing the rest of the equipment in his locker.

He also replaced his Aetos top with an Adidas polo shirt, also dark blue, to avoid identification.

He then took a private Grab ride to the JCube mall and went to OT Credit.


When he saw only one employee and one customer, he wondered how to ask them for money.

He then decided to copy Roach’s approach in the StanChart robbery, so he went to JCube’s bathroom and wrote this message: “It’s a robbery, don’t shout. I have a gun in my pocket. Put all the money in the bag.

He returned to OT Credit and delivered his handwritten note to a loan officer there. She pressed a panic button under the counter when she saw the gun Mahadi had transferred to his front pocket.

Not realizing this, Mahadi opened her shoulder bag and told her to put the money in it. She did so for fear that he would hurt her.

After leaving OT Credit, he grabbed a grab at Boon Lay Mall where he transferred S$10,000 of the proceeds of the theft to his friend Nur Shana.

He also deposited the remaining S$14,000 into his own bank account.

Around 5 p.m., he boards an Aetos van and leaves for his deployment to ST Engineering. While on duty at the company’s premises along Jalan Boon Lay, he made four online bank transfers to unapproved lenders.

He also tore up the handwritten note and threw it away.

He was finally arrested by the police at 8:45 p.m. at the Aetos complex.

At the time, police said Mahadi had been identified through footage from police cameras and OT Credit CCTV cameras.


Deputy Attorney General (DPP) Timotheus Koh has requested 15 to 20 years in prison with the mandatory minimum of 18 strokes of the cane.

The prosecutor pointed to three key aspects of the case – a breach of trust, a high level of premeditation and planning, and the real risk of serious injury to Mahadi carrying a loaded firearm in public.

DPP Koh said the defense argument on the “effective surrender” of Mahadi was very different from the actual surrender of Mahadi to the authorities.

Mahadi’s lawyer, Mr Mark Yeo, had told the court that he already intended to surrender after completing his shift.

DPP Koh said: ‘The defendant knew during his shift that the authorities were looking for him. It is telling that even then he did not inform his colleagues or contact the authorities.”

As for the defense’s argument that the robbery was unsophisticated, DPP Koh said it would “reward him for not thinking it through.”

Mr Yeo said his client had made a ‘fatal and foolish decision’ after ‘reaching the point of despair due to mounting debts’.

The lawyer added that Mahadi did not show or use his gun or ammunition, and no one was injured in the robbery.

Anyone found guilty of theft can be imprisoned for at least two years and up to 10 years.

Those found in illegal possession of weapons or ammunition can be imprisoned for at least five years and up to 10 years, while those illegally carrying weapons can be imprisoned for at least five years and up to 14 years.

All three offenses carry a mandatory minimum caning sentence of six strokes.

Source link